(Balloon animal my friend "commissioned" for me, note the baby dog in the tummy)
In month 3 (March) I started having kidney stone or UTI type pain. I just dealt with it for the most part
(taking Tylenol when I could). As it got
worse, I called the doctor’s office and they suggested I get a UTI test
(yippee, another opportunity to pee into a cup). They said it was negative and to call back if
it got worse. By this time, I was
getting pretty frustrated. They pain WAS
worse, that’s why I called them. I have
never been pregnant before so I don’t understand the discomfort I am supposed
to be concerned about vs. what is normal, and we are in the early stages of the
pregnancy when miscarriage is always on my mind. The pain got much worse over the weekend and
I was leaving for a work trip on Sunday. So
Sunday morning we went into Urgent Care.
I explained my situation to the nurse and I heard him talking it over
with the doctor in the hallway when she suggested I go ahead and get another
UTI test. Are you freaking kidding
me?!?! I had already peed in a cup TWICE
that week (with the previous UTI test as well as a regular check up). I KNEW it wasn’t a UTI and I was getting
frustrated that no one seemed to want to help me. So Tony walked with me down to the lab and I
tried to go to bathroom but couldn’t. I
told the lab tech I needed more time and went back to the waiting room. Tony held and comforted me while I was
drinking water and CRYING because I was so frustrated. Well, the lab test came back and it was
POSITIVE for a UTI. I was never so happy
to have a freaking UTI and a prescription for some meds. After writing the prescription, the doctor
said, “Well, since you are here, do you want to hear the baby’s
heartbeat?” Hell ya! She went out to the waiting room to get Tony
while I went to the bathroom (because of course, NOW my bladder was
overflowing). Tony was concerned that he
was being called back to the room with me but the doctor quickly told him what
we were up to. It took a while for the
doctor to find the heartbeat and while she was searching, Tony got paged! Luckily, she then quickly found it and Tony
was able to hear it before he had to leave to take care of the page. There was so much static I could hardly distinguish
the heartbeat but the doctor said she could hear it and that was all I cared
about. Tony quickly took care of work,
we ran off to get my prescription, a quick bite to eat, threw some clothes into
my suitcase, and then I was off to the airport for my work trip. No time to celebrate!
Other Notes from Month 3:
- Getting pregnant is the best diet ever! I have lost about 8 pounds. (Also note that I lost ZERO pounds when training for and running my first 5K.)
- Traveling in the first trimester sucks! I was driving myself back from the Moline airport and I cried for the entire first half an hour because I felt so horrible after getting off the plane.
- For my birthday, Tony gave me a mother's locket to hold and display our babys birthstone.
- Excited that we were able to start sharing our news this month! A few co-workers who traveled with me figured it out earlier – it’s hard to hide pregnancy symptoms when you are with someone for 12 hours a day!

No comments:
Post a Comment