So, its not likely I will reach my goal of running a 10K this year, but I have a new 10K goal and a cool new contraption to go with it - a Fitbit. Basically, it is an advanced pedometer which tracks other data like number of stairs climbed, calories burned, and even sleep habits. My goal is to walk 10,000 steps per day which is a general average for what is considered a healthy, active lifestyle.
The inaugural weekend with the Fitbit Tony and I decided to go for a nice hike. We drove out to Pikes Peak by McGregor, Iowa. We had trouble deciding how far we should/could go. Well, it ended up we were more limited by my shrinking bladder than by my physical abilities! My total steps for that day was over 17,000! And we were able to get some good pictures.
I am amazed by some of the stats from the Fitbit. On an average workday, I get around 4000 steps (before going for my evening walk). A super LONG workday is closer to 2000 steps - pathetic! A travel day at the airport I thought would be an easy 10K but its typically closer to 6000 so I still need to hit the treadmill at the hotel when traveling -- Boo! I did get my fill of Telemundo on a recent work trip because the folks who got to the workout room before me got to pick the TV station. But after a couple of weeks of trial and error, on my 3rd week with the Fitbit I reached my goal of 10,000 steps per day for an entire week! Here is my progress report from the week. Now it is time to repeat this success every week! Well, maybe just until I can't see my feet anymore :-) And then little baby Kluesner can join me as we put some miles on her stroller.



No comments:
Post a Comment