Monday, October 8, 2012

Easy Button

  
We found Johanna's easy button.  Turns out newborns are much easier to take care of when they have a full stomach.  We were getting frustrated that Johanna seemed to be constantly cueing for food.  She would eat for an hour then fuss as soon as I set her down.  So we would need to soothe her for like an hour and then she would just wake in and out of sleep and need to constantly be held.  I was starting to think that she was just hanging out on me and not bothering to eat even though she seemed to be showing the right actions.  So I asked Tony to look for a YouTube video of sucking vs. swallowing - to which he gave a smirky grin.  Guess we should be sure to include the word "breastfeeding" in our search criteria.  :-)   Johanna had the right amount of wet diapers but only one poop since she got home.  Luckily our nurse home visit was today (Monday) so we knew we could get some tips.  Turns out she was constantly cueing for food because she wasn't getting enough to eat!  Poor little thing was down to only 5 lbs and 14 oz.  Of course I started crying feeling like a horrible mother.  But we just need to supplement with formula until my milk is up to snuff.  So I nursed her for 30 minutes then Tony gave her 1 oz of formula and she was wonderfully content - turns out all it takes is a little food!!  She is sleeping so well now (knock on wood - I am sure she was exhausted from all the fussing too) that our biggest problem now might be keeping her awake long enough to eat.  The nurse also confirmed our thoughts that her jaundice was getting worse, she is up to a 16.3 score.  So now we have the same "glow worm" blanket that Cali had.  When we put it on her, she fussed for like 3 min and then went back to sleep - that formula is like liquid gold!!!!!!  We have a doctor appointment tomorrow so we will see how we do there.  Seeing Johanna finally happy and sleeping takes away any mom guilt I had about not getting enough for her to eat.  The nurse was wonderful about it all and was quick to point out that Johanna was not dehydrated, just more hungry.  I also felt a little better when Grandma Karen and the nurse pointed out how strong Johanna's sucking is and no wonder I am so sore!!


1 comment:

  1. Johanna is thinking What a great daddy I have to give my Mommy a well deserved rest. Grandma Karen

    ReplyDelete